The first monday of August in Canada is used, for the most part, to celebrate our provinces:
- Newfoundland – Regatta Day
- Saskatchewan – Saskatchewan Day
- British Columbia – British Columbia Day
- Nova Scotia and PEI – Natal Day
- Toronto – Simcoe Day
- Ottawa – Colonel By Day
- Burlington – Joseph Brant day
The Civic Holiday is commonly referred to as the August Long Weekend.
It is probably the busiest day on highways as tens of thousands of families go camping, to cottages etc this weekend.